Somalia imposes restrictions to contain third wave of COVID-19
Kirby added that, like previous airstrikes, US forces were not on the ground with Somali forces but were conducting advisory and air support operations.
WASHINGTON, US - The United States military has again targeted Al-Shabab, the Al-Qaeda's East Africa branch based in Somalia, launching its second airstrikes in four days after a six-month hiatus when President Joe Biden took office from Trump last January.
The US Africa Command [AFRICOM], which carried out the drone strike in Galmudug state, said in a statement that the raid was part of an effort to support the Somali National Army [SNA] forces on the ground in its fight against Al-Shabaab.
Pentagon press secretary John Kirby told reporters that Friday's airstrike took place near the village of Qeycad in the south of the Mudug region after U.S. forces were authorized to use military force against the terrorist group.
Kirby added that, like previous airstrikes, U.S. forces were not on the ground with Somali forces but were conducting advisory and air support operations as Washington mulls to send back American soldiers to the country to resume the counter-terrorism operations.
A statement issued by the Somali government on Friday said the airstrike killed at least 50 Al-Shabab fighters, among them foreign militants who were taking part in the ongoing battle.
Somalia has so far registered more than 19,000 COVID-19 cases and 1,079 deaths since the outbreak of the diseases in the country early last year.