UN says none of its personnel targeted in Mogadishu blast

Meanwhile, police spokesman Abdifitah Hassan has confirmed that nine people, five of them soldiers and four civilians, were killed and 14 others were injured in the blast, some of them in critical condition.

News Keydmedia Online
UN says none of its personnel targeted in Mogadishu blast

MOGADISHU, Somalia - The UN mission in Mogadishu [UNSOM] has said none of its “personnel or contractors” were in a convoy that was targeted with a car bomb on Wednesday in the seaside capital.

Police said the bombing claimed by Al-Shabaab struck bullet-proof vehicles in the city’s 21st October road outside Aden Abdulle International Airport, killing at least 8 people and wounding dozens of others.

“Contrary to some initial reports, there were no UN personnel or contractors in the convoy targeted in the suicide attack earlier today [Wednesday] in Mogadishu,” UNSOM tweeted.

The UN joined the U.S. in the condemnation of the suicide attack and expresses condolences to the families of the victims, and wished a speedy recovery for those who were injured in Mogadishu terrorist attack.

Meanwhile, police spokesman Abdifitah Hassan has confirmed that nine people, five of them soldiers and four civilians, were killed and 14 others were injured in the blast, some of them in critical condition.

The attack happened on a busy road that leads to the airport and it comes just days after Somali pollical leaders signed an agreement paving the way for finalizing the Lower House election by February 25.

KEYDMEDIA English 

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
News 13 January 2022 14:27

Last year, the Auditor General has released a bombshell report accusing the government of Somalia of corruption and bypassing the central bank to keep $31 million worth of contracts in offshore accounts.